Dog Blog 24.0 – Is Social Media for Me?By Jill Mathieu In Business, Social Media, Uncategorized It seems like lately, the most frequent questions we receive from our clients are concerning social media. Specifically, clients want to know:
(1) Do I really need it?
(2) What it will do for me?
(3) Is it too late to get on board?
Here are our responses:
(1) The more you get your name out there, the better
(2) It won’t do anything for you if you don’t keep up with it
And that is the end of this blog post!
Just kidding. But those 3 responses do cover the basic items you need to know: social media helps you spread your message, you have to work at it, and it’s not too late to start! Here are the details:
(1) Whenever we hear the question, “Is social media something I REALLY need?” we answer with, “It will not hurt if you do have social media, but it might hurt if you don’t.” I don’t think anyone out there has ever said, “Man, I wish less people knew about my brand!” There are so many ways to get your name out there (besides websites), and social media is a great, free tool that’s just waiting for you to use. You might not always get the results you’ve dreamed of (like 2 million Twitter followers), but if you are realistic about your goals and persistent about maintaining your social media presence, it will work in your favor. This leads me to –
(2) “What will social media do for me?” Social media will only work for you if you STICK WITH IT. This does not mean you create a Facebook page, create 4 posts, and then let 3 years pass before your next post. If you want to gain a solid following and the attention of potential customers, it is crucial that you make a point of participating on your social media platforms (and keeping everything up to date). Otherwise, not only are you not utilizing social media’s potential, but you are putting a bit of a slacker vibe out there! You have to be willing to participate in order to be a player in the game. Social media puts you in touch with your customers on a more personal level. While a website may remain stagnant for months or years at a time (which is not something we recommend), you can put news and information up on social media daily. It lets customers get a glimpse into your company and see you as actual people, which is something people enjoy!
(3) “Is it too late to get on board?” It’s true that Facebook has been around for about 12 years, but I guess that just means it’s a tried and true method! Of course, it seems like new platforms are emerging each day, and I can’t honestly say what form of social media is a good match for you. It all depends on how much you are willing to participate and how much time you want to invest. But no, it’s not too late to start an Instagram account, create some Pinterest boards, or build a Facebook page. Better late than never, right?
It’s important to find a platform that works for you. You don’t need to engage in anything/everything just because you think you’re supposed to. Start off with one or two forms of social media, and see where it takes you! If you find yourself struggling, you can always try boosting your posts (paying to get more people to see your Facebook posts) or doing sponsored ads on Instagram. There’s always a solution, so don’t give up! Or you can always call us, we would be glad to help! Also, Facebook has some helpful tips on boosting your social media presence. You can find them here.